Sunday, February 20, 2005

As is often the case...

Just when I think I've reached the end of a throwing cycle, shelves loaded with bisced pots waiting to be glazed,people stroll in with a few last-minute orders:since Friday-some cake-plates [porcelain],vases [porcelain and crystal glaze],30-odd perfume lanterns for the Healthfood Shop in the Old City,and,today,sixty bowls for a restaurant in Rosh Pina down the road.They've finally smashed the last set I made them a couple of years ago,and,gratifyingly,came back for more.Tomorrow morning the car goes in for a service,Sydney is coming to discuss ways of dismantling my salt kiln with a view to re-assembling it outside his studio;Helen's birthday is on Wednesday,a group of 50 has booked a demonstration on Thursday,and Guy and his film crew will be here next Monday,by when I shall have to have fired the current bisc [not to be confused with a currant biscuit]and one more [prob.half-full]so that there's a bisced piece to fire and remove red-hot from the kiln for the film.The studio floor is starting to get that gritty feeling underfoot that betokens a good wash,and dust is mounting up on the gallery shelves.I have a perfectly good apprentice,but she is off swanning about at the Jerusalem Book Fair,her reappearance shrouded in mystery.It looks as though I shall have to cast off my customary lethargic and leisurely pace and crank out some pots.I do hope that this doesn't indicate the end of Winter,and the beginning of a hectic Spring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hana Loftus said...

what's this whole film thing? are you going to be a star?
Don't worry, Ashley Howard is absolutely un-Hanified, awaiting my return to London to continue enjoying it. It's only if you'd have given it to me for good that some disaster would have befallen it!!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home