Friday, March 23, 2007

Magdalene Odundo


What a stunner!
This African element is interesting:it exists in the British studio pottery movement almost from the beginning,with Michael Cardew's work in Abuja,Nigeria [I think].Cardew was Bernard Leach's first apprentice ,and wrote the [to me as a raw apprentice at Robin Welch's workshop in 1975] intimidating book 'Pioneer Pottery' Bernard Leach,of course,wrote 'A Potter's Book in the 50's,laying out his philosophy and making a concerted effort to teach you how to make,fire and sell functional pottery. This was the book that,when I encountered it on a Humanistic Psychology booklist at Sussex University in 1971,started me on the path of pottery. Robin worked at Leach's studio in St.Ives,so I fit firmly [and happily] in that brief but powerful tradition of production throwing,high-fire reduction,stoneware seasoned with porcelain,and a grafting of east and west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home