Friday, April 09, 2010

Slipping Away


The first rule of pottery - if you want to sell,make it blue. My version [I've been using it for 25 years] is a blue slip,which I find more interesting than a blue glaze; it's inspired by David Frith's wonderful blue slip,which he makes using mixed cobalt waste from an old Welsh tin mine. My slip is coloured with cobalt oxide and red iron oxide [which is why the unfired slip looks reddish],added unreliably and by eye to the Hopper slip,and adjusted over the first few firings of a new batch 'til it comes out looking more-or-less like I think it should. There's a video to be watched if you click on the title. The astute among you will note that the bowl in the picture above is not the same one I'm decorating in the movie,for obvious reasons [if you're astute].

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home