Monday, December 13, 2010

Glaze Testing the Quick Way


I loaded the second and last kiln in the current series last week and had a bit of time before starting the firing,so I thought I'd have a look at some of the parameters of my simple ash glaze [1/3 each feldspar,quartz and ash]. I didn't have any prepared test pieces,so broke bits off an unpromising bisced dish [no problem sliding them into the packed kiln]. For each test,I poured a small puddle of the base glaze into a bowl,then added a very approximate spoonful of the test material [aiming to increase it by10-20%],stirred[not sieved] and dabbed on the test tile with a brush.marking the back with black iron oxide. The idea was to see if any promising directions showed up,to be tested more thoroughly next time; the whole batch of tests took me about 20 minutes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home