Thursday, April 14, 2005

Gloria Thursdi,sic transit

Which means:this afternoon's shooting started well - concentration strong,muscles relaxed,the target seeming slightly larger and the gold mysteriously drawing arrows to itself,the way it does on these [rare] occasions.Then I stopped for a short break after 4 dozen arrows,as usual,and when I resumed,it/I went all to pieces,and a possible 600 score faded to a barely satisfactory 584.Try again next week.I think my arrows are bent.
A bisc kiln is gently warming at 60 degrees,hoping to dry out two porcelain sinks,a last-minute order from Motti the Pazgas technician,who came Monday to re-lay my gas line to conform to new standards [guess who pays];I'll leave it on a "candle" flame overnight,and fire it tomorrow.Finding myself in the unusual position of having finished work for Pesach somewhat early,I decided to make another kilnsworth [probably two glaze kilns,with unfired pots left from the last round]to glaze and fire at the beginning of next week [Pesach starts next Saturday,for the uninitiated,and runs for a hopefully-tourist-laden week].I have already sold two vases from Meir's kiln [admittedly the two best ones,but gratifying nonetheless],plus the tea-pot,which I delivered to its new owners in Pardes Hanna Monday evening,while visiting Meir for another look at his work from the kiln,and a summing-up of the firing.Conclusions:1)We know nothing.2)the right wood seems to be the key to a good firing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home