Sunday, April 08, 2007

Spring means Lilac


We inherited this lilac bush from Eugenia Belkin,the previous owner,with instructions to look after it with care [I got the impression it had romantic associations for her]. I can't say that we have given it any special care,gardening not being as yet our strong point- in fact it has been rather rudely transplanted a couple of times,but it seems to be flourishing.It's season is usually short,the blooms expiring at the first sign of hot,dry Sharav weather,but Spring this year has been long and cool so far. I find that the olfactory association of lilac with bathroom air-fresheners slightly diminishes my enjoyment of the heady scent of the lilac bush- but,on the other hand,the huge bunch I just cut for a vase in the kitchen does a wonderful job disguising the pong of some rodent that appears to have expired in the cavity behind the kitchen wall...
And what of the studio ,I hear you ask; wedging and throwing are still strenuous after my accident,but I have softened up four bags of the French stoneware and started making some pie-dishes.I have told myself [not for the first time] that this might be the last batch of the blue slip ware that has stood me in good stead for over twenty years. Increasingly I am drawn to finishing the pot on the wheel and letting the fire decorate and glaze [ as in salt or anagama firings].

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home